Germinating Bananas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Unregistered, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Has anyone here germinated Banana seeds before?

I have several that I am waiting for to do something.. It has been about a month at 80-90 degrees and high humidity and they havent done anything..

Thanks

April

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Are you sure of your seeds or did you harvest them yourself? Some varieties have up to 1 viable seed per 300 bananas. In other varieties like Cavendish (the usual supermarket banana) the seeds are scarce.

Ralph

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

'Cavendish' bananas are always sterile, so I hope it isn't that!

80°C is far too hot, it will kill the seeds. Checked up, you want to aim for between 20-22° for outdoor ornamental bananas like Musa basjoo.

4. Hi, Thanks.. It was actually 80 degrees F, not C. No Cavendish, but I do have Velutinas, Violacea, Zebrina, Snow bananas etc...

Thanks

April

5. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

I planted some Musa velutina (pink bananas!) seeds about a month ago, still nothing, the person who gave me the seeds said they can take anywhere from 1-6 months to germinate. I've got them in moist soil on a seed germinating heat mat.

6. glen3a

glen3a Member

I started some musa ensete seeds last spring. One seed germinated in a month. The others never did germinate, though to be honest I sort of threw them out after a while because all I needed was one plant. It made a very attractive yet unusual annual for the summer, reached about 4 feet high. I was thinking of overwintering indoors, but don't really have the space.

Now I have purchased seeds of musa zebrina (blood banana). If these are lucky enough to sprout, I figure the plants would be a more manageable size, grow in a pot on the deck and I will be able to overwinter indoors.

It sounds like lightly moist soil at room temperature is the key? Unfortunately, for seeds that take a long time to germinate, I usually forget about checking on them and the soil ends up drying out too much. Germinating anything difficult isn't my thing.

Regards,
    Glen