Questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by jmarusen, Apr 21, 2006.

1. jmarusen

jmarusen Member

Greetings all, we recently purchased our new home in Port Coquitlam. Landscaping was included in the builders contract but is not yet installed. I'm assuming they will only do the basics.

I'm a little concerned about drainage as we currently have lots of standing water. Should we be looking at a french drain to move the water from the backyard? We are going to ask the builder to prep the yard with a grade but the water table is very high in Port Coquitlam with a clay soil.

Where should I start with landscape design? We don't have a large yard and I'm hoping to do some of the labor myself. Should I hire a professional or studen to plan the landscape?

Thanks,
    John

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi John,

Congratulations on your new home! You will definately need to deal with the drainage issues first. Maybe you could get the builder to do the drainage work in lieu of the landscaping if addressing the drainage isn't included in your contract. You might want to check local laws on that.

Another option would be to hire a landscape designer now and get a credit from the builder for the landscaping and pay the designer with those funds. You could have the landscape designer do a plan, recommend plants and you do the planting. There are several options open to you. If you have a high water table I would recommend that you get someone experienced with such issues and check their references.

It would be helpful to the designer and save time and money if you know the type of garden you might like as to formal, informal, low maintenance, etc. Also knowing what you need for entertaining, play area for any children/pets, outbuildings such as a storage shed, nice view from certain windows, etc will help the designer to help you. Cutting pics from magazines is always helpful.

Here's a site about drainage that should be helpful.
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1560.pdf

Newt

3. jmarusen

jmarusen Member

Thanks Newt for the great info.

Can anyone recommend a contractor with drainage experience in the Port Coquitlam area?

John

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

John, you are very welcome! I don't know if anyone will be able to recommend someone to you, but do check references for similar jobs. You never know what you'll find out talking with people.

Best if luck,
    Newt