Plant Identification Request

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rll, Sep 20, 2003.

1. rll

rll Member

What Is This Plant?

The plant pictured below has been growing wild in my yard throughout this past summer. I have consulted several plant identification resources but have been unable to identify it. The plant is approximately 30 inches tall and, as the pictures indicate, predominately greenish-purple in color. The leaves are opposite in arrangement and deeply serrated. The plant is covered with flowering spikes that grow out from the main stem more or less directly above each leaf. The flowers are small and lavender when mature and have a "weedy" (not "perfumy") smell. I have also found larger examples of the same plant growing at one of the local parks, where it has been deliberately planted for decorative purposes. I live in West Central Indiana and the plant seems to be native to the region. Apart from simply wanting to know what it is to satisfy my curiosity, I am currently doing a study of the insects that are attracted to particular species of plants and need to know for more scientific reason. Any help in accurately identifying this plant would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

This plant looks like Perilla frutescens. Check out this fascinating and comprehensive Austrian webpage on the subject.

3. rll

rll Member

Thank you!

Thank you for identifying the plant for me. I've been puzzled all summer about what it could be. The photographs on the Austrian site made it clear that it is in fact a beefsteak plant. The site also said that the plants leaves taste like licorice, so I tried one (I was afraid to do that until it was identified) and it tastes exactly like black licorice. Thank you again for your help!

rll