Philodendron help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tfrasqueri, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I have a common philodendron with heart shaped leaves that I got as a gift when I gave birth to my son 2 1/2 years ago. It looks stringy but I'd like to see if anyone can help me make it look full. It just hangs down in it's hanging basket and I've seen pics of some looking full and mainly of leaves. Thats what I want to try to do with mine. Anyone out there have any ideas?
    Thanks a lot,
    Tricia

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It would really help if you'd said where it's hanging - inside, outside, in the sun, in the shade, and what soil it's in, how often do you water and are you fertilizing? Because otherwise, it's a little hard to say what needs changing.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

ya might try moveing it to a sunnier location .. they like sun .. alot of those type plants they just cut them back (DONT cut all the way back) and they grow bushier .. you can also root the clippings and repot it back in the same pot and that will also help make it bushier..

Marn

4. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Hi Marn,
    I do have it hanging right inside a west facing window. It gets a lot of sunlight. Also, I water when I notice it's a little dry to the touch. I've never fertilized it. I wouldn't know where to start in that area. I'm open to try anything. I will however cut back on it and repot the clippings into the same pot.
    Thanks.
    Tricia

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

try the Schultz liquid fertilizer .. i really like that stuff and works great on plants and you can use it every time you water your plants ..
    if you have a window that gets first thing morning sun then i would try that window .. the clippings will also help .. make sure to take of the bottom 2 leaves to expose the nodes so it will root .. use a clear glass and also try a lil fertilizer in the water to get it to root .. dont worry if the water turns green .. the plants love that .. i have never changed the water in my rooting glasses .. just keep topping it off .. :) they are so green you cant see through them ..

Marn

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

I imagine it's in 'potting soil', which is mostly peat, and which holds water too long in the pot, so I suggest waiting longer between watering times. It'll get a bit tired looking when it needs more, and you'll then start to learn when it needs it, rather than just giving it some 'because' it's a plant.