Wanted: wild-collected Solanaceae

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Atropanthe, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi folks. I am interested in seeds of any wild-collected Solanaceae species worldwide, idealy with good collection location information. I am especially interested in wild-collected Hyoscyamus species.

I am also interested in trading cuttings of Brunfelsia. I am growing quite a few species and varieties, and am interested in anything new. See my blog for a list.

Donations accepted, but I have lots of seeds to trade. Please feel free to reply here or contact me offline. Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Presumably you'll need USDA APHIS authorisation to import Solanaceae seeds. I know they are restricted items for import into the European Union, and sometimes even from one country to another within the EU (that doesn't apply to many plant seeds at all) - high risk of the seed carrying viruses (tobacco mosaic and similar).

3. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi Michael,

Yes, you are correct. I have an USDA APHIS permit to import small lots of seed. As far as I am aware, there are very few restrictions on importing Solanaceae. A quick scan shows Lycium ferocissimum, Solanum tampicense, S. torvum and S. viarum, although I may have missed one. I know some states have further import restrictions, especially California.

Just to alert any potential trade partners/donors outside the US, I will provide a green/yellow USDA address label that must be used, along with a copy of my USDA permit which must be included with the shipment. Also, the seeds must be in labeled packets with a packing list enclosed.

Thanks for bringing this up,

Brandon

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks!

Solanum dulcamara is easy for me to get (if the birds have left any berries!). Hyoscyamus niger is listed as native in my county, though is rare; I've never seen it but haven't made any great attempt to search for it in the past. I'll keep a look out for it next time I'm in the right habitat (coastal).

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Is there anything specific that you're interested in from the South American solanum groups?

6. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi Michael. Thank you for the reply. I would indeed be interested if you should ever happen upon any collections of Henbane.

Hi Lorax. The most specific collections that I would be interested in from Ecuador would be any species of Brunfelsia, especially Brunfelsia chiricaspi and B. grandiflora ssp. schultesii. Also Dunalia solanaceae and Dunalia trianaei are of specific interest. Of course, locating any of these would be a rather rare find to start with, then finding them in mature fruit would be especially unique.

In general, I would be interested in any collections of Acnistus, Brunfelsia, Cestrum, Dunalia and Iochroma. Please let me know if you find anything of interest that you would like to share!

Thanks,
    Brandon

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've got Brunfelisa pauciflora, and can certainly look for the others on your list....

8. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi Lorax. Please let me know if you find any of the others. If not, I would always be interested in a few fresh seeds of B. pauciflora. Also, please let me know if there are any seeds you are interested in.

Thanks,
    Brandon

9. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Here in Southern California I see wild Datura sp. all over the place (inoxia or wrightii?). Also, occasionally I'll see Brugmansia, although they are generally landscaped and I doubt they are native. Nonetheless I can probably collect seeds.

10. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi Joey! That is likely D. wrightii, and I would definitely be interested in a few seeds. Regarding Brugmansia, I already have too many cultivars as it is and have decided that I am not going to devote any more space except to truly rare cultivars or wild-collected specimens. Thanks!

11. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Great, I should be able to collect some seeds this weekend. Are you looking for whole seed pods or would you prefer the seeds taken out and dried? I can provide either. Also, I'll be sure to take pictures of the specific plant(s) I collect from and note the location. Speaking of Solanaceae, would you be able to trade for any Capsicum annum cultivars? I've recently developed a fascination for these plants, but so far only have some jalapeno seedlings started from store bought chilies.

Thanks,
    Joey

12. MaryC

MaryC Member

Hi Brandon. I work at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. We have a collection of Brunfelsia spp., a personal favorite genus of mine. Perhaps we could do some trading. Could you send me a list of species in your collection? Mary Collins

13. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey Atropanthe, I finally uploaded pics from my phone of the Datura wrightii that I collected those seeds from!

Attached Files:

14. Atropanthe

Atropanthe Member

Hi Joey,

Thank you again for the seeds, and for the images! I will be starting some of these seeds within a few weeks and will let you know how they turn out.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for writing. I sure would love to visit Fairchild! Many of my Brunfelsia originated via FL nurseriers via Miami Flowering Tree Society via Fairchild. Brunfelsia maliformis and portoricensis are at the top of my wanted list. I'm not sure what species or cultivars that I may have that you don't already have, as Fairchild has a huge collection, but will put together a list and send you a private mail. I recently received some wild-collected B. uniflora seeds from Brazil, and have a few unidentified species that may be of interest.

Thanks,

Brandon