Fungus Question

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by RPBnimrod, Aug 4, 2008.

1. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Would any type of fungus grow on a dead jellyfish that is left out of water, and if so, what species of fungus?

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Marine fungi (and their fruiting bodies) are very very small. But I gather they are often organized by host, so perhaps it is possible to look up the ocean fungi that are found on jellyfish.
    If it is being colonised by something terrestrial, then I expect we'd be looking for something opportunistic in its choices of substrate.
    There are molds that can cope with a low water (high salt) ratio/content, something like the critter that molds on jam despite the very low water to sugar in jam or Wallemia sebi the scourge of dry fish storage.
    Oomycetes (no longer considered fungi) seem to turn up in all sorts of damp places, like shower curtains.
    If you found a larger or mushroom-forming fungus there, I'd be wanting to look up fungi that grow on assorted damp litter, like some Peziza cup fungi or those dark spored things people find growing in the bottom of abandoned cars and such.
    ...and hey morels seem to grow whereever they want...

Is this speculatory or are you looking at something wierd on a jellyfish?
    :-)
    frog

3. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Okay, thanks Frog! That was very helpfull. I might experiment and try to find a dead jellyfish on a beach just to see what happens. If anything interesting happens I'll post it. No, I'm not looking at something weird on a jellyfish (yet), I've just been seeing a lot of dead jellyfish beached on a beach (obviously) near my country house.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008