Seed Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eric La Fountaine, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a seed I need identified. It is ~ 3mm in length and slightly smaller in width, black coating with tan or white seed inside. It comes from a berry that makes (when deposited on the snow) magenta colored. The outside of the berry is translucent green. From what type of plant does this seed originate? thank you for your help.

Katherine

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Katherine,

Hopefully the fact that the berries have green skin but turn snow magenta, may clue someone in to your plant. If not, you may need to provide more info.

Where was the plant found?

3. Dear Sir, It was brought to our analytical lab from a tv station local to our area (wilm-phila) they rec'd questions from viewers that see these types of magenta colored spots showing up in the snow on their yards. (From Bird droppings) It happens this time of year. We've analyzed the fluid and it shows up organic. But I would like to pin it down to a specific plant. The berry skin that's left after probably partial digestion apears to be green but it might not start out that way. The seeds are black, roundish but flattened and 3mm by 2.8 mm. I could send a photo if necessary. thankyou for your help. Katherine Melody. 12/12/2005.