Japanese Maple Dying

Discussion in 'Maples' started by KBaisden, Jun 15, 2005.

1. KBaisden

KBaisden Member

Can anyone help save my dying japanes maple. I planted it about a month ago and within the last two weeks its been slowly dying. I water it a least once a week. I live in delaware

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello KBaisden, can you tell us more about what is happening with the tree? There are a lot of reasons why a tree might fail. Are the leaves curling, wilting, drying, browning, spotting....? A photo would help a lot as well, if you have one:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=725

How much sun does it get? How was it planted? in what type of soil?

3. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

mine's one look like its going to die to. but don't throw it away yet. put it in a shady position/nglected position and wait for next spring to come along.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

once a week watering is likely not enough at this time of year. what size was the rootball and what size is the plant itself? a soccerball sized rootball would need water at least twice a week for the first couple months, and at least 5 gallons of water at each watering to soak the rootball thoroughly.

5. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Hello KBaisden,
    Until you can clue us in on the placement, soil type, length of watering, in sun or shade-how long of each, etc. all anyone can do is speculate and that will not really resolve your problem.

So my speculation is that you are not watering it enough: run water for an hour. that should apply for any soil. Also note that the weather forcast is for a hotter and dryer summer so be warned! Don't worry about the die-back. but water it! and if
    there is any life in the roots they will respond. I get die-back on branches of mine but that is due to the hot and dry summers.
    I have even taken to trying to spray the tree just to cool its leaves and give it a moment of humidity-a very brief moment!!!
    So please put up a post with more info and an image or two if possible and maybe my speculation is all wet!!!