Identification: pink leaves, green leaves, lots of puss

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jcamero1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jcamero1

jcamero1 Member

Hello,

I am currently residing in Japan where I bought a beautiful houseplant that has thrived indoors. It mostly has green leaves that are thick like a succulent, but also a few stems in the middle of pink leaves. All of the leaves produce what appears to be a white powdery substance (on top and bottom of leaves) and only the green leaves produces a kind of puss substance. And a lot of it! Many of the leaves hang over the table (green leaves grow downward, pink grow upward) and produce so much puss that it drips on the floor. It is very sticky. Any help identifying the plant would be appreciated! I love the plant but we have no idea what it is. If photos are needed, I can take some.

Thanks,
    jess

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi jess, Yes, photos should help. Can scroll down to "manage attachments'' after printing reply or edit your first post and attach.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Look closely at the plant, especially the back of the leaves and stems. What you described sounds like possibly a mealie bug and/or a scale infestation. Both pests can cause the sticky honey dew symptom.

4. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Your plant sounds like it could be a bromeliad but without photos it's hard to tell. They don't normally extrude sap or pus so you probably have an infestation of mealie bugs or scale insects as Bluewing suggests.