Acer palmatum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Alexiamei, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

I have planted an acer palmatum (the label says it will reach about 1.5m in 10 yrs) by my sunny patio and I am worried about its leaves getting scorched in the heat. It is one of those with red leaves. Any advice?

Also, I've planted it about 50cm away from an eucalyptus gunii which I intend to keep to a 1m clear stem and coppice it every year to keep it at about 1.5-2m height.

They are both small at the moment but I was wondering whether I am storing up problems for the future by planting too close. I only have a tiny garden and can't stop myself buying plants which I then have to squeeze in.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi for red leaves no problem if you:when is spring or summer give more water every 2 or 3 days for 3 minutes and around the trunk you use bark of conifer ;the distance about "Gunny" is small for the future if possible is good 1m for me
    alex66

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The heat you get in Wales should be no problem with your maple
    The dry weather this past year or so means that you should ensure a constant water supply. If you do that the sun will be fine
    Are you serious about 50 centimetres? That is only about a foot and a half? Surely that has to be far far too close