Millipedes- what's their story?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Erica, May 14, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi there-
    I live in the Fraser Valley in BC. What's the deal with these millipede-like creatures? I'm not even sure if that's what they are. On the internet a millipede is HUGE but these critters in my garden are only about 2 cms and light brown however,they look like the big millipedes. Are they harmful? Do they eat my plants? Should I get rid of them?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Looks like a millipede to me, and they do eat plants, generally anything that moves slowly is a pest anything that moves quickly is a predator (they have to be faster than their dinner, or they'd starve) :D i think millepedes would be more of a threat to seedlings than anything else.........personally i'd just live with them, (not literally, they'd tickle too much)

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

found this in that link (pretty much what i said really :D)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Oscar, in case there's any doubt, I posted the link to provide more information and to reinforce your statement - not otherwise.

6. Erica

Erica Active Member

Thanks guys!
    LOL- Oscar.
    What is considered "fast"? Are earthworms fast or slow? B/c I know those are good but they're kind of medium movers. Anyway, those millipedey things in my garden move as fast a worm- infact I thought they were baby earthworms but upon closer look I saw they were not.