corn plant help.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by katsen, Jan 11, 2008.

1. katsen

katsen Active Member

hello, i have a corn plant, see pic, and some one said "If you cut the stalk, leaving only 6-8 cm above the soil, new leafs will appear from there... The top with the foliage you can put it in some water in order to repot it after it will produce some roots." should i do this, seems drastic. thanks Anne.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

Yes you should, the stalks will send out new shoots and the plant will look much nicer, and be a lot healthier too.

3. katsen

katsen Active Member

ok will do how short should i cut them?, how? and can i potup the left overs? and will they grow?. thanks Anne

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

I would cut them about 6-8 inches above where it began to branche out. the cuttings will root if you place them in water or in soil with rooting hromone, but it may not be worth doing since the leaves are not nice.

5. katsen

katsen Active Member

ok great thanks for the help. Anne

6. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

You can also put sections of the cane that have no leaves on them in soil ( remember which side is up) and they should root and send out leaves. It is a fairly long process though. I used sections of cane about 4-6 inches long and in a few weeks the beginnings of leaves started to make themselves known.

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

When I do mine I always cut the bottom on an angle 1) so I know which way is up and 2) it slightly increases the surface area to absorb water...

Ed

8. tanyafaye1

tanyafaye1 New Member

Plz help. My corn plant made blooms this year and I have Seeds from it. How can I transplant these seeds and will I have little corn plants in the end??