Azara microphylla in trouble?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by lonnaj, Apr 1, 2015.

1. lonnaj

lonnaj New Member

Hi, All. I am new to the forum and hoping for some wise insight and advice. About a year ago, we planted an azara in a very large pot. Western exposure, well sheltered. As you can see from the photos, it has black spots of varying sizes on the leaves. The afflicted leaves eventually turn yellow and drop off. There is still new growth, which is generally unaffected. Is this a virus? Something else? I had hoped that it would disappear but instead, it has persisted for a year. What to do?
    Thanks.
    (I hope picture attached!)
    20150401_165510.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This is one of the other, even less hardy species of Azara. The spots probably have to do with moisture conditions in the potting medium. I'd knock it and re-pot it is fresh soil. I would also not leave it sitting out during winter cold spells.

3. lonnaj

lonnaj New Member

Hi, Ron. Actually, we already pulled it up and freshened the soil before the flowers started to set up (maybe 4-5 weeks ago?). It had the same spots all last year, even in the summer months. Perhaps a fungicide or maybe working some extra drainage into the soil?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the potting medium has become too broken down the thing to do is replace it.

5. lonnaj

lonnaj New Member

Thanks, Ron. We put in fresh soil so I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.