How to repair a hole in my apple tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Xygnus4X1965, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Xygnus4X1965

Xygnus4X1965 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a problem with my apple tree, last summer a woodpecker has been pecking on it and caused a hole in it, which gradually became deeper as the wood started to rot due to water pooling inside the cavity.
    I've read on other sites not to fill it up with concrete due to contractions and expansions. So what material can I use? I might have to drill at the side of the tree to let pooling water drain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ed.

PS. I've attached some photos of the hole in my apple tree.

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The rotting wood under the open hole undoubtedly extends into the main trunk of the tree, and the tree is destined to die within a few years. In the meantime it should still produce apples; so the best thing to do is to plant a replacement tree now. The new tree should be bearing fruit by the time this tree rots away completely.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Often in cases like this only the heartwood rots, the damaged area is compartmentalized, and the living tissue continues to grow around the hole. I've seen old apple and pear trees with large holes like this that have been part of the tree long enough that they grow moss and ferns, like a planter, while the tree itself continues to grow and produce. Filling it typically creates or compounds an existing problem, and drilling it to drain would damage the living tissue (plus the holes would quickly heal over). I'd suggest you leave it alone--chances are it will be fine for years.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. Xygnus4X1965

Xygnus4X1965 New Member

Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions vitog and woodschmoe. The rot extends about 7" - 8" deep inside. I've removed as much soft rotting wood as I could. Is it a good idea to cover the hole with a sheet metal or aluminum for now until the tree compartmentalize the damaged tissue? There are two more trunks growing beside the rotting trunk. Would it be possible to cut the damaged trunk in the future and let the other two take over? Thanks once again for all your suggestions.

Ed.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The fungus that creates the rot may extend far beyond the soft, rotting wood that you can see. If there is another trunk that has not been affected, removing the damaged trunk is a good solution.