A thread for hot pepper-a-holics...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ewbc

ewbc Member

Anyone ever try to extract the capsicum oil from their peppers? If so, what method did you use? I am attempting to use the oil in my homemade massage oils to reduce pain, any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Gretchen

Gretchen Member

3. bigace

bigace Active Member

Love all your Pepper pics,,,I had some problems this year with my peppers,,,not growing them but miss marked packaging,,wanted to grow just the Long Cayenne's,well this is what came up!They sent me some new ones but wont know until next year what they will be (first pic)I bit into one of those cause I thought it was a Baby green pepper HA! Then the year before just wanted some Green Jalapeno's and a couple of these popped up! (2nd&3rd) Anyway Grew some Hot Fish this year and had Hundreds of them off of 5 plants,,we used them for canning Banana Pepper Rings and Pickled Green Tomatoes. ENJOY Tom

Attached Files:

4. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello is "HOT FISH" a type of Pepper?
    I had many peppers in our green house this summer BUT
    some animal cam and at much to many ..really frustrating
    I can't figure out where you are but we are in Vancouver Canada so not so hot
    I wanted to ask..someone told me IF one trims the pepper plant before winter
    very short it will grow back the spring after and make a bigger strong plant
    (any truth in that?) our green house is not heated and goes down to close zero Celcius..
    We also love pepper for pickling the hotter the better. I grew Cayenne Jalopenos Hungarian (yellow not very spicy) Red Fire..
    Sometimes I wonder if they not just put a pretty name on the plants to sell better
    I also did not know that pepper can grow so tall they reached the ceiling of our green house or the thrive mainly towards the light (although our ceiling has three large window panes also..

5. bigace

bigace Active Member

Yes,,,Hot Fish is a pepper in my last pic there,,,,I only have 2 plants that make it through the winter here in Kansas,,,,and I have to bring them in the house,,,Jalapeno and a Basil plant,,,both are in pots,,,and sit in an large east window,,,I cut them both down to about 3 to 4 inches and they have came back every year so far,,going on 3 now

6. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

To me peppers belong outside, but any comments to those that grow them indoors? Is the plant perennial in nature?

7. vicarious1

I did all summer and automn long but I can't confirm as I took them out before the winter

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Capsicum peppers are perennial in their native tropical regions.

9. vicarious1

Thank you I will try next year LESS plants and keep indoors over winter as
    we don't have much indoor winter window space, too many other plants already

10. Pip

Pip Member

nvm

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  11. Gerb

Gerb Member

Hi from San Francisco....and I have a pepper plant problem...but most likely just your garden variety issue :)

I'm hoping it's not blight, none of the peppers are affected. Anybody have any idea what it is?

It looks like it working its way from the bottom up...and only happening on one of my two plants that are located close to each other.

IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

12. Nezahualcoyotl

Nezahualcoyotl Member

Hi all,

New to the forum and just started growing some hot peppers so I thought I'd resurrect this old thread and see if anybody is still here.

I've currently got 2 Carolina Reapers, 2 Devil's Tongue Habaneros, 2 Hot Jamaican Scotch Bonnets and 3 Chocolate Habaneros with some of them starting to flower under an indoor 140 Watt LED light set up, currently set at 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

I've been hand pollinating the flowers and watering every 3-4 days or whenever they start to droop and hoping for the best.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Attached Files: