Acer palmatum 'Dissectum' ( Acer palmatum f. dissectum )

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by JT1, Oct 19, 2014.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Dissectum'

This is the largest dissectum I know of in our area. The picture does not give a good impression of size.

As a reference to size, the stone directly to the right of the tree is over 6' tall. I am 6'6" and can stand under the lowest branch that stems off the center and goes horizontal off to the right side. In the 2nd photo you can see someone standing along the right back corner of the tree.

This tree has an amazing and majestic presence in person that is very difficult to capture in a photo. I estimate the tree to be 20' tall and 28' wide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

You mean 6 metres by 8.50 metres in international, non-medieval measurements? Really? Wow, never seen one that big.

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Stunning! What would an approximate age be on a tree like this? Ohio is a harsher climate, in the scheme of things, for a maple to grow, so I know the growth rate would be slower than on the west coast...

LOL at Alain :) I'm from Canada, so I know what you mean. That being said, while I grew up with metric, and would use it for most things, when it comes to height (like for a person or tree), I've always 'understood' feet and inches better than cm/m. With regards to weight, I always think in terms of lb when it comes to a person's weight, or when buying meat or produce, etc. Go figure!

And don't get me started on Farenheit vs. Celsius! hahaha

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes in meters it would be 6.096 tall by 8.5344 wide.

The other referenced heights would be the following: I am 1.9812 meters tall and the stone to the right would be over 1.8288 meters tall.

5. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Do you know the dates on the stones nearby? I'd guess the tree was planted when the stones were placed.

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As it's 6 years since the last photo of Acer palmatum 'dissectum ' I thought I would add 3 of my old tree. Spring, Summer and Autumn. I have kept it small to fit in the area it is in. It still today after 42 years gives a lot of joy to my wife and I and especially in the Autumn when it glows. Yes it's 42 years old on the 29th June 2020.

Attached Files:

Karl Villareal and AlainK like this.
  7. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Active Member

My Dissectum last year. This year was just summer bleh FB_IMG_1670115692447.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I pride myself on being bi-lingual :-) when it comes to measurements and fully understand the many advantages of the metric system.

Here's an example of why I prefer the imperial system for measurements of length . . . say I'm 5 feet tall and my husband is 6 feet tall . . . 2 quick syllables each and easily relatable to other people of different heights. Easy to refine too as in '5-foot two' or '6-foot three'. Why would I prefer to say that I'm 152 centimeters (10! syllables) or that my hubby is almost 183 centimeters (10 syllables)?

The problem with metric (in my opinion) is that there is no collective measure for 30 centimeters like there is for 12 inches. Then I could say I'm 5 X tall or whatever.

It can be argued that the metric system has advantages over imperial but it still leaves a lot to be desired in everyday conversation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I am sure most reading this are aware that "dissectum" isn't an actual cultivar name, rather it is a description of a form or variety that encompasses hundreds of named cultivars and countless thousands of unnamed selections.

My question is what would the correct way to write the scientific name for this type of Japanese maple? I am going to suggest a few alternatives below but I am not a botanist and would welcome feedback on which is the most correct:

Acer amoenum subsp. matsumurae var. dissectum

Acer amoenum var. matsumurae f. dissectum

Acer amoenum subsp. matsumurae f. dissectum

Or something else entirely? Or can they be used interchangeably?

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Totally agree M. I think the above would be the most suitable that you chose.
    But I wonder if the large nurseries that sell Acer palmatum dissectum would agree to any changes. I doubt it tbh.

maf likes this.
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, they will continue to use whatever names they like, just wanting to know the most correct name for my own use. For a non-botanist it is somewhat challenging to know when best to use subspecies/variety/form, especially as I often see recognized subspecies described as var.

12. Acerholic

I think if we go down the route of Acer palmatum f. dissectum as per Vertrees, then I feel that the name will be recognised by forum members, but not the casual visitor who may cary out a search.
    I think that a change to this thread title with Vertrees and common naming might be a good way forward to keep it botanical.

13. Acerholic

@emery any thoughts on this E ?