No flowers

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Gardener, May 20, 2007.

1. Gardener

Gardener Member

Hi folks,
    I care for a Magnolia Grandiflora (unknown vareity) that has never flowered and I wonder if anyone can sugest why. We live in Zone 8, South Vancouver Ialand. The tree stands about 15 feet tall although the owners arbourist topped about 5 feet off mid March this year. I would guess the tree is about 15 years old. It is planted in a courtyard, tucked in the corner of the house and entryway. The house rises two stories to the east and one story to the south, the other two sides are somewhat open. The sun exposure is from midday to mid/late afternoon. There is a small stand of cedar and fir trees aprox. 25 feet away. I do not detect any disease although some leaves seem a little pale (light green to yellowish). The trunk is in good shape with no splits or unhealed spots. I suspect it could use a little more water and I have just mulched with Sea Soil at the base. Do these trees need other specific components? I garden organically so whatever I use would need to be organic in nature. I would appreciate any ideas regarding promoting flowering and required nutients.
    Joanie

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It may simply be too young to flower yet. This will apply particularly if it is a seedling-grown plant, rather than a grafted cultivar.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seedlings are common. These take as long as 20-30 years to flower from seed.

If 5 feet was cut off a 15 ft. trunk it will no longer be in good shape.

4. Gardener

Gardener Member

Thanks Ron,
    Would you elaborate on "it will no longer be in good shape". What spacific effect will the pruning have? Thanks for taking the time.
    Joanie

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Topping opens trunks to decay. Replacement trunks will grow from the sides of the remaining trunk, perhaps break off later under weight of snow - the original continuous shaft having been replaced by a sort of candelabra with the arms not directly connected to the stand. For more on topping of trees and its effects see plantamnesty.org.

6. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I concur with Ron B's concerns about topping. These trees live happily enough in Washington DC and Portland, Ore., so south Vancouver Island should be amenable. In the southeast US, wild magnolias grow rather rapidly and flower at fairly early ages. I don't know what effect your cool summers might have.

In the wild, they can grow rather close to salt water. They tend to be in places with good drainage, and often are in locales without much in the way of nutrients. In Portland, they seem to grow happily without summer irrigation.