madagascar palms

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by jocrinkler, Jun 29, 2008.

1. jocrinkler

jocrinkler Member

What is the recommended fertilizer to be used for madagascar palms?.....and also, how often should it be applied?

thanks for your time =)

jo

2. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

Its a little hard to know exactly what plant you are talking about without seeing a picture, but most commonly it is a plant called Pachypodium lameri.

These are stem succulents from a very arid environment. Commonly they do best if underwatered than overwatered, and I mean no water October to March.

They should also get very small doses of fertilzer, at 1/4 the normal amount if at all. I like to use Dyna-Gro fertilizers which are a more complete nutrition, with very low dose NPK, and my whole cacti and succulent tribe do better with this occasionally at the low dose rate for "regular watering".

You will do well with these plants if you don't try to grow them fast, but see how little you can do with them. And read lots about their care.

BTW, they want to live in full sun year around. Winter dormancy can be less bright, but the brighter the light, the better the growth.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

The basic strategy with Pachypodiums would be use 1/4 to 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer every 2-3 weeks during the growing season (April-Sept)...OR...use a 2-3 month granular fertilizer like those offered by Osmocote or Schultz's. As mentioned above, they will have a dormant/semi-dormant period during the winter. During this dormant period, water only if DRY...no fertilizer.

A full spectrum fertilizer with micronutrients (magnesium, boron, zinc, etc.) is usually the best way to go. Strengths of fertilizers will vary, so start out with a low dose and work your way up as tolerated. Again, keep the fertilizer strength weak and administer it more often.

When in doubt, use less, not more.