Weed identification (and control help) please?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jader201, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jader201

jader201 Member

I have this weed taking over my lawn, even after a year of professional lawn treatment. I've been told it is crabgrass, but the images I'm seeing online do not seem to match what I have. Out of desperation to identify and rid my lawn of these weeds, I've joined this forum.

I'm in KY. The weed is always in clumps, and live year round -- they never die, even in winter. The clumps range anywhere between about 8 inches to 3 feet in diameter. The clumps resemble typical grass for the most part, except much taller (often 6-10 inches compared to 3 or so inches of normal grass).

The individual weed always looks like the image below -- the base branches out into an "inner" and "outer" blade. I don't ever recall seeing any flowering or seeds of any sort during the life of the weed.

They're very common in our climate, but of course, most of the yards in our neighborhood seem to have them under control, making ours look even worse. I'm not aware of any special maintenance or preventative care the others are taking. We had our lawn treated with typical Scotts service for 2008, but have canceled for this year.

My main goal is to determine if there is a DIY treatment I could perform, as well as preventative maintenance. Of course, I could probably research this myself if I could first identify the weed.

Thanks in advance for any info and tips you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Tall fescue I believe.

HTH
    Chris