Residual Weed Control

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by shipwreck, Aug 6, 2008.

1. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I have moved to a country place with a large gravel driveway. The driveway has been infested with weeds and grass. I have been using a mixture of water, vinegar, soap and salt sprayed on the weeds which will kill them but provides no residual effect.

Can anyone direct me to something, readily available in Canada that I could apply to prevent the weeds from returning for a longer period? (preferably and entire summer)

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Round-Up qualifies....

Note though, it will only kill existing weeds, not ones that subsequently grow from seed.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Standard roundup from the local hardware store says it has no residual effect on the label. I understand that farm/industrial roundup does have the residual but I don't have access to that. I used roundup last year for the same area and found that it cost more but didn't do any better then my homemade recipe. Both allow weeds to return quickly.

I would like something that would prevent those seeds from germinating as well. I was told that Simizine is used for this but again it is a controlled farm chemical and cannot purchase this.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Environmentally persistent pesticides are highly controlled in their use for obvious reasons. It took many years, but regulatory agencies finally realized they couldn't have people spreading things about willy nilly that had persistent environmental impacts.

Still lots of nasty persistent chemicals out there, but at least we're trying not to give them to individuals with the instructions "Please spread liberally"

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

On a gravel driveway, a weed burner would work. Some pollution and the danger of fire, but no chemical problem. Equipment cost might be a issue.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Eric, Lee Valley has a propane burner for under $50 if I remember correct.

As far as I know commercial roundup has no soil persisitence, its the same chemical just more concentrated when packaged, its the same usag rate when mixed and applied.

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

That's right Jimmy, it's all the same, just more concentrated.

Although Shipwreck, there are still a few products available for domestic use containing Simizine. I seen a container the other day a man had purchased, I think it was called "Calcide". It was 2,4-D, Simizine combination. It sure worked hot dog on his gravel driveway. You may still need some Round Up for the grass weeds.

And just think how using Simizine once a year saves the environment from all the horrible carbon emmisions it takes to control weeds mechanically. :).

Jim.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I remember using Simazine and Atrazine a number of years back, I checked and Calcide is still registered for consumer use.