Looking for a mail order source for Relieance in Canada?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by tasty, Nov 24, 2009.

1. tasty

tasty Member

Like above I'm looking for a mail order source that ships reliance since I was told those are very good grapes, It doesn't have to be plants, cuttings will work too.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

3. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Somerset would probably be a better bet. You could also try Canadice there is someone growing that in Winnipeg. reliance is a nice grape but doesn't have the hardiness. if you check with Jeffries Nurseries they have a nice collection of grapes you could try. Reliance is a nice grape but it doesn't always color properly or will crack in wet weather. it also isn't quite hardy enough for you there. You could try Trollhaugen or Montreal Blues.

Cheers

Kim

4. tasty

tasty Member

thanks Ralph but min order is $50. Prairie grapes do you know who sells Candice or somerset any mail order nusries?, Since I already have a valiant and a two year old sufflok grape vine which is a zone 5 had one bunch which was awsome.

5. northerngrapes

http://www.littlefatwino.com/vineavailability.html

You could try these nurseries botth Peter Salonius and Bert Dunn sell cuttings.

Pan Am has plants

http://panamnursery.com/fruitprod.html

You could try them. Also in the spring companies like Home Depot will ahve a an assortment of grapes in their store. I have seen Canadice at Canadian Tire and Super store as well. Its a luck of the draw with these companies and most of the stuff they bring in isn't hardy enough for our zone 3 climate. If you can't find Canadice try a Vanessa plant. If you put them on a south wall and give them some winter protection you might be able to produce a crop. If you put a a temporary cover ie plastic over the
    grapes you can generate more heat and extend your growing season. If you use a black plastic mulch at the base of the vine it also helps to provide more heat units and extend your growing season. Bluebell, Kandiyoho and King of the north are worth trying as well.

Have a look at this website www.mngrapes.org

and likewise this one
    http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/fruit/blp01s01.html

hope this helps

Cheers

Kim

6. tasty

tasty Member

Can I t-bud a varitiy onto my exsting cultivator, like a candice bud onto a valiant trunk? and would be possible to keep grape vines in pot?

7. northerngrapes

You could grafting onto your valiant grape and use it as a rootstock. Theoretically it would ripen earlier and increase the hardiness by about 5%. tYou could try t-budding

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/repositoryfiles/ca3107p4-63301.pdf

This should help you.

By the way I am doing research with V.riparia (wild grapes) as rootstocks.

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers

Kim

8. tasty

tasty Member

Hey, Thanks everybody just one more question, were could I get some buds, for t-budding anybody?

Thanks

Tasty

9. northerngrapes

10. tasty

tasty Member

Thanks Prairie grapes for the links, I'm going to order the Candice and Someset from them, anybody try the taste of someset?better then valiant?