Please help identify this insect.

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by beastmaster, Aug 14, 2008.

1. beastmaster

beastmaster Member

Today I noticed these insects on a few month old loquat plant. I had three of these plants side by side and only one has these insects. The plants are doing fine. I am not sure if they are good or bad for the plant. The closest thing I have been able to find that I think it may be are wheel bugs but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

good pictures, other than saying it looks aphid like I cant ID it more positively.

3. beastmaster

beastmaster Member

These guys have recently molted and have left the plant, with the plant unharmed. I found a few on a close by plant this is infected with some other pest. So I take it these guys are good and can help me out.

Attached Files:

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I applaud your positive take on these little guys...as in, not nuking them just coz they were on your plant and you didn't know what they were, smile...

I know there are sites that help in ID'ing these guys, and you could probably find their identity eventually. One rule of thumb is, fast moving "bugs" are often predators, while the "enemies" of our plants are often sluggish (since their prey isn't going anywhere fast!).

Hopefully your critters are feeding on the spider mites or whatever is causing the webbing on the last photo...