moss control

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ajay501, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ajay501

ajay501 Member

I'm hoping to get some help in controlling the moss in my lawn. I plan to spray and power rake, but i'm in the dark about the variety to reseed with.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

On the topic of moss control itself, here's a search on the forums for [SEARCH]moss lawn[/SEARCH] - much has been said already.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Being in the dark is much of the problem. Moss grows where there is moisture, it has to have a film of water to reproduce. Most grasses on the other hand, need plenty of light. A location that tends to grow moss more than grass is probably too damp and shady for lawn.

4. ajay501

ajay501 Member

Hi Bob
    Thanks for the tips. I thought there might be a grass for over seeding that might be better in a shadier location.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

First you would have to rake out moss, maybe add a layer of fresh soil and make other preparations. And even with shade tolerant fescues there is still the matter of why moss was able to take over that spot in the first place. Without looking I assume discussion at Daniel's link covers at least some pertinent variables.

6. ajay501

ajay501 Member

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the help.

7. goat

goat Member

ajay,

having lived in dense shade for years (no more, yay!!!), if you have a moss problem, you probably always will. We tried many, many things without luck. In the end, we just accepted it.

To do it over again, as it was on the periphery of the lawn, I'd have turned it into a shade garden. But that was 'before'. I'll turn anything into a garden now...

8. ajay501

ajay501 Member

goat
    I'm leaning toward doing just that. Thanks for the reply.

9. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

You are not alone, I have a southwestern exposed backyard, heavily shaded by huge trees from the neighbours...needless to say, we have a permanent moss garden in the lawn, which will eventually transform into a lush shade garden filled with Hosta,Daphne laureola, Helleborus o., Poltystichum...and on and on...now if the temperatures would warm up...