small space gardener pictures

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Blake09, Feb 8, 2009.

1. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I liked this very small small space garden in an industrial area on the eastside of Vancouver.

Attached Files:

2. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Your garden is beautiful Digital, you managed to grow alot in a small space.

I plan to grow more things in pots next year, so that it free's up space in the gardens to try new plants.

Nice looking pup too Sherry.

3. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Looks like
    what I did with my old picnic table
    belongs over here.
    We quit eating outside years ago.
    The old picnic table purchased at a charity auction, used outside, then used as my first dining table when I moved to this house.
    We used it for a bit outside when we acquired a table but daughter and I preferred to dine without the company of wasps or use of sun screen oils with our dinners.
    When the nails started to make it dangerous to just sit randomly upon it I decided to give it up as a useful work space too, after one weary winter when I set it up as my winter night display for greens and lights for my enjoyment after work which time was too late to plug in the house lites as everyone else was just turning theirs off before bed time.
    I could also see it from my double glass doors.
    Soooo,
    Having a need to move my indoor fountain used for winter humidifying
    when I discovered that mossies were breeding in there in June! in my living room!
    I decided to set it up on the old table with additional levels and it all started like that.

I knew that birds liked to bathe in a dish I always refreshed at the back of the garden but what I discovered with this fountain was that they bathe even more in winter, to be able to move the oils on their feathers and stay warmer that way.

I even had a heron drop down and try to see if it could find the source of the water sounds and thereby some fish - nope!
    But boy did he look dorky when he got up on top of a bird feeder, took a lick of seeds and then tried to either swallow them or scrape them off his tongue.
    That was a one time thing tho.

The last shows a visitor who stays only briefly around here in the spring but loves to bathe morn & evening.

D

Attached Files:

4. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

The plants change all the time and especially seasonally.
    This year I found a couple of mounding shrubs that I think will do well and possibly help me to hide the poly trays.
    Can anyone suggest anything that would not be destroyed by the freezing in winter to replace the trays with ?
    The poly trays also bend to allow for good flow.
    I am contemplating using some pond liner material and shaping it around rocks, when I move, as an alternative plan.

This fall, it being a very dry year, I had the unusual pleasure of watching as about 30 Cedar Waxwings descended to take turns drinking and bathing.

D
    PS
    oh yes, there's dorky, yawping on seeds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. Alavone

Alavone Member

My hobby here in Abilene TX

Attached Files:

6. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Very cool pics of the moonflower.
    I have a couple of pics from June. Looking at them makes me think my balcony needs a shot of fish fertilizer and less neglect. I keep watering my clemantis in hopes it will flower again. I just cut it all back yesterday. Maybe it will come back to flower before winter.
    I've included a picture of one of my window boxes. Tomorrow I'll take another pic for comparison. I promise you'll see a dramatic difference.
    As promised, I took a pic of the windowbox today. It has filled out. But it has suffered neglect especially during the hot spell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010