Heath/heather: oxalis + woodiness

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by lotsofroses, Jul 2, 2008.

1. lotsofroses

lotsofroses Member

1) Oxalis weed is intertwining in the heath. I am opposed to chemical remedies, but it may be necessary. Is there a way to chemically attack the Oxalis without damaging the heath?

2) The heath that were planted five years ago have not been pruned and are showing some signs of woodiness in the centers. Can I remove those (dead?) areas now? What else can I do besides get on a good pruning schedule after each one blooms?

3) Do I prune the blossoms of the heath when they are completely done blooming or prune as the blooms die? Or does it matter?

Thanks for your help.

2. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I used to grow quite a few heathers and I have a brutal but risky strategy for you. In the wild, heathers are often burnt over naturally or as a land management technique. They then grow back revitalised from the base.

I'm not suggesting that you set fire to your garden!!

But, if you cut the heathers right back during the growing season they resprout in the same way producing rejuvenated plants. Obviously a bit drastic, but it always worked for me. Before they resprout, with all the leaves removed, you should then be able to safely spray the Oxalis with glyphosate ("Roundup").

But this is easy for me to suggest - I've never tried it - it could be risky - perhaps the roundup will still affect the heather.

About pruning the flowers. I do not think it makes any difference to the plant. Just do what ever is easiest for you.

Good Luck
    BrianO

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it might well do so, as roundup is readily absorbed by cut branch ends.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Specifics of pruning heather varies with the type, probably none should be pruned in July. Few shrubs can be sprayed directly with glyphosate without damage. Grasses in tamarix junipers can be sprayed and have the junipers tough it out. Growth of the junipers is altered for awhile.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008