Newbee needs advice on planting 100 Blue Spruce

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Bark Head, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Bark Head

Bark Head Member

Ok, I love the outdoors and have some knowledge of conifers, but I have never done this type of mass planting before. Let me see if I have this right. I am going to have a soil sample done on the planting site. 1. What is the best ph for Colorado Blue's? I will be preparing the planting site by plowing the field and then discing to level out the planting site. I am purchasing 100 colorado blue spruce from a nursery, they will range in size from 2/3 18" to 30" and the seed source is Santa Fe and San Juan. I thought the size of these would help with the survival rate and also I would not have to wait for 20 years to see some actual progress with them. 2. What type of survival rate should I expect? 3. When I plant these should I use post holediggers for the hole or should I just use a shovel? 4. How big of a root system should I expect with these trees that I am getting from the nursery? I have heard two different storys on adding anything to the soil as a fertilizer or stabelizer. 5. Should I use anything but the soil from the hole of the planting site? I had planned on putting down a single strip of faberic weed gaurd around each tree (2 X4 piece) and then using mulch around each tree to keep weeds down and help with keeping the soil moist. 6. Is there anything I need to know about using the faberic gaurd or mulch around each tree and are those both good or bad ideas? 7. I have also heard not to fertilize for the first full year, is this true? 8. How much water will each tree require each week if it does not rain?Any help would be appreciated, I am really excited about taking this task on. Just so you know the reason I am doing this, I own 20 acres, 15 wooded and five open, my house sit's right in the middle of the open part. I already have about 400 white pines and austrian pines four deep surrounding the open acreage along the outside boundries, these are 15 years old and established. Where I am going to plant the Blue's is two open acres right in front of my house. They will serve as a natural wind break obviously and I intend to harvest some for Christmas tree's but I am really doing it for reforestation purpose. I am an outdoor enthusiast and love the fact that one acre of pine trees will create enough oxygen for 18 people each day, it will provide habitat for wildlife and I love the look of Colorado Blue Spruce's. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!!!!

2. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

No answer yet? I'll give an opinion, at least on some.
    1. Pretty adaptable. If you're in Michigan, they should be fine.
    2. Depends on a host of variables like how much care you give them, is your soil sand or clay, deer loss, etc.
    3. A hole with straight sides is not good for root development, especially if you do have clay.
    4. How are these coming to you? Bare root? Container? At 18 inches (40cm) I would expect at least a gallon container. If you are planting 100 of these, are you going to take the time to unravel the roots?
    5. The usual answer is no, do not amend the soil. But that depends on your soil type.
    6. I'm not a fan of a fabric guard. It only gets weedy eventually and you'll end up removing it. Mulch is very good, just keep it away from the trunks.
    7. I don't fertilize the first year either.
    8. They will need water every time it is dry when you stick a finger in the soil to check. Your drainage will determine how often that is and how much water it takes.

Other thoughts:
    Have you thought about a little more diversity among the trees? Rather than blocks of this type here and that type there, interplanting species for a more natural look? Your local county extension is another resource for reforrestation ideas with plants suitable for your soil. They also have ideas for what plants to use in a windbreak and how to stagger them.
    Finally, Colorado Blue Spruce is Picea pungens (as in pungent/sharp) and not a very touchable Christmas tree and if these are seedlings the blue color may vary drastically.

tj