Advice for Dwarf Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rocketD, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rocketD

rocketD Member

Hello! I have two questions, but let me give you some background first.

I (usually) live in Bakersfield, CA. My husband gave me a dwarf lemon tree for our anniversary the past April because I love lemon trees, but neither of us knew a thing about them. I do not know if it's Meyer or Eureka or what, but it doesn't really have the serrated looking edges of leaves like the Meyers. Some of the leaves have pointy ends, some round. I think the tree was not in fabulous shape when he got it, because when I went looking for a pot to replant it in at Walmart, their trees looked lush and dark shiny green, and mine was...less lush, and a lighter, not-shiny green, more like the green on the forum headers. Reference Picture #1.

Well, I repotted in a citrus mix from Home Depot and proceeded to care for it like any other houseplant, not knowing they need specifics. It bloomed a lot and produced baby lemons that turned black and fell off. Then I went away for two months to school in another state, and my husband first overwatered it, then underwatered it, then set it on the porch for several weeks in 108 degree weather. When I returned in August, it had lost most of its leaves, had some kind of pests eating the leaves, had spider mites, was dry and had brown patches, and generally unhappy. Reference Picture # 2.

I had one more semester of school to finish, in New Mexico, so I brought it back with me to try and revive it. I researched this forum extensively for what to do. Based on the posts here, I used the recommended CHC/peat mix, treated 3 times with Volck oil, and fertilized with Miracle Gro Azalea/Camellia/ Rhododendron formula a couple times a month through September and October. It's much happier now; putting out tons of new growth, but still nowhere near what it was like at the first. When the leaves get big, though, they turn dark shiny green that they never were before. About 4 weeks ago it exploded in blossoms; probably about 15, and 10 made baby lemons which all fell off within a week or two (this time green, not black). There's one more bloom starting now, lots of tiny new leaves, and even a couple of stem shoots. See Picture #3.

So here are my questions:

1) I read there's a quarantine on citrus trees going into CA, so even though this one came from there, I might not be able to take it back. I have emailed the CA Dept of Agriculture regarding permits, but after reading their site I'm not very hopeful. Anyone have experience with moving their indoor citrus to CA?

2) What do I do with my tree now that it's coming back? I guess this actually encompasses a few questions, like is there more that I need to do for it now? It's growing very tall, and I've read I shouldn't prune, but there will be a limit at some point of how tall it can really get, so how do I prevent that? Should I see certain things happening besides what I've described?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Attached Files:

2. bastrees

bastrees Member

RocketD,

It seems as though you have done a good job with your tree recovering from the earlier issues. This site has lots of advice on care, so poke around and do some searches on proper soil and growing conditions for container trees. Search for CHC and Pine Bark mixes.

Finally, decide which one of your good friends who lives in a non-citrus producing state you would like to give your tree to when you leave school. You cannot legally take your tree back to California. Use what you learned on this tree to apply to another tree that you purchase when you get home. And, just as important, if you have to leave home for an extended period of time, leave the new tree along with detailed instructions for your husband.

Barbara

3. rocketD

rocketD Member

Thanks, Barbara.

Such a bummer that I can't bring the tree back! I've sort of bonded with it. Oh well, it would have died if I hadn't brought it out of California. I'll leave it with my parents and hopefully I can take it when we move again in a year and a half.

I did repot in the CHC/peat mix recommended on the forum when I began the quest to nurse it back to health, so that's taken care of.

Appreciate the advice!

Dara

4. bastrees

bastrees Member

Just a note about CHC. You can actually underwater when using this medium if you do not water thoroughly. An occasional complete pot submersion in water to hydrate the chips will help with this. CHC has such good aeration that the resonance time of the water as it passes through the medium during top waterings may not be enough to allow adequate absorption of water by the CHC. Good luck. It is good that you plan on heeding the law concerning movement of the tree back into CA. Too many people do not, and the industry is at risk as a result. Barbara