Privacy Screen

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Hosta, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hosta

Hosta Member

Can anyone suggest what to use to provide privacy along the back fence of our backyard? Our yard is 50 feet wide, but only about 25 feet deep. The house behind us towers over us (it's on a slope). We'd like an evergreen for privacy in the winter, too. One nursery suggested white cedar, but it is pyramidal in shape, with a wide base. We'd prefer something columnar so it doesn't take up a lot of space, and about 25 to 30 feet tall, or taller. We live in southern Ontario.

2. Bryn

Bryn Member

I live in Southern Ontario also. I have found that cedars are nice and will tolerate the ice and snowstorms we get. I have emerald cedars and a neighbour has white cedars. Both look nice-mine hold up better in the winter, but hers are always fully recovered by spring. Cedars will give you privacy all year long-as will any evergreen planted as a hedge-blue spruces are nice because you can trim the bottoms and still plant under them, that will help them to take up less room, and they will grow taller than the cedars. If you don't want winter privacy, how about columnar maples or some other native tree in columnar format?