Young phoenix caneriensis (brown leaves)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

Heres 2 pic of my cidp, i noticed that the first leaf is turning brown and dying. The se4cond leaf is turning yellow, but the third, and what is there of the fourth, are nice and healthy green. I did have it in a tall yogurt container, and the roots were sticking out and inch out of the bottom for a few months before i could repot it. Pretty sure it will be ok, but i want some reassurance.

thanks

2. Canadianplant

sry heres the pics

Attached Files:

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It will more than probably be ok, give it some time....a yogurt container isn't a great home for any plant.

4. Canadianplant

haha i know, i wouldve repottd iot earlier but i had to bring it accross the county. THanks

5. Neofolis

Neofolis Member

They are a very rooty palm and it is likely that the roots wanted to keep growing to sustain the top growth, but were unable to. Fortunately, they are also very tough and the roots can take quite a bit of abuse. Providing the roots now have sufficient room to grow and they are in a well draining medium and getting plenty of water, the new growth should remain healthy.

6. Canadianplant

thanks everyone..... now... what if iwas to put the pot outside for the summer? We do =get high winds here once in a while and hot intense sun. Im not too worried about the dryness for this one.

7. Neofolis

Neofolis Member

It should be fine outside. It will cope with any level of heat that you are likely to get, but although it will take full sun from a very early age, it may be prone to some leaf burn if the sun is too intense for long periods, especially if it has been used to lower light levels. It is generally advisable to introduce more light gradually over a period of weeks.

Whilst they are fairly drought tolerant, they are less so when they are small and at any size prefer a constant water supply. I have even seen them growing in habitat in Tenerife as rheophytes, so more water is preferable to less. The general rule is feet in water, head in the sun.

Wind is unlikely to be an issue. The pinnate leaves can get a bit tatty in high wind, but it is only cosmetically damaging. Strap leaves don't tend to damage as easily, but again will be prone to some burning, particularly if humidity is low.