Japanese maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by treebill, Oct 27, 2003.

1. treebill

treebill Member

Is there any other ways to hasten the maturity of japanese maple trees. In the future, I am interested in breeding some selections that I have?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

time machine?

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Where a time machine is not in your budget, I recommend grafting. The other, or perhaps, even more important factor is soil fertility. Excess soil nitrogen from fertilizers will prolong vegetative growth and prevent flowering.

4. treebill

treebill Member

Time Machine?

Wouldn't that be cheeting?
    I was thinking about low nitrogen and high phosphorus and patience. Does anyone have any information on the use of paclobutrazol?
    Bill

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

That is an intriguing question. As with any growth regulator or pesticide (paclobutrazol has herbicidal properties) I would check first whether it is registered for that use in your area. I would guess that it isn't (it is not in Canada).