Afternoon Sun - Rec needed

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Cyberbug, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Cyberbug

Cyberbug Member

Hi all, I just found this forum.

I have been trying to grow Japanese maple in my front yard as a specimen.

It is facing North west, so I get quite a bit of afternoon sun.

I had initially Emerald Lace and now Filigree, gave away the Emerald lace and now next spring will move the Filigree to a container to move it away from afternoon sun.

I am now getting Orangeola. Will this be a good choice? the other two (above) always had burned tips on the leaves.

I am hoping Orangeola will do well in the the afternoon sun.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably you will have the same problems with all laceleaf cultivars tried in same spot. Install something that provides shade, such as a fence or try another, cooler spot. Laceleaf maples are so unnatural in appearance that they often look best in their own little nook anyway -- ideal showpiece for one of those tiny condo courtyards.

3. Cyberbug

Cyberbug Member

thanks do you have any recommnedations for a such a spot as mine?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Sun scorch is just something that happens for JMs that get too much hot sun. I don't think the problem is the variety of JM, but the location. More water might help, but it's best to locate them in a place that gets shade in the hot afternoon.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hello,

I have Okagami and Osakazuki growing in full sun. The former is a well established plant and shows almost no sign of burn even under the worst conditions. FWIW I don't water it at all. Osakasuki is a young plant but seems to support the sun very well.

Don't know how well this applies to NJ though. If you are fairly coastal you'll have an easier time, perhaps.

Good luck,

-E

6. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

My Bloodgood gets sun scorch in mid-July through end of August. It is on the NE side of my house and on this side of the Cascades we get a hot, dry, cloudless summer. Seems to be doing OK in spite of it though, I just got two new about 2 foot long pieces of new growth in Sept.

7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am growing many Japanese Maples in the sun in south facing exposure in central coastal NJ. I have had good luck with Waterfall, Garnet, Red Feather. I understand that this is not the best environment for these trees, but most of my gadens get sun. I usually install soaker hoses in the gardens when newly planted and mulch with a good organic mulch. I keep the hoses in place for about three years to help get the trees established.

8. majohnson

majohnson Member

The are a few JM that will handle the full sun. I live in Southern California so the hot dry is an issue here. I have 3 of the 4 listed they do very well in the sun. I am not much on chems but I have had several people recommend "Pro-tekt from Dyna-gro.

Red Dragon
    Seiryu
    Crimson Queen
    Tamukeyama