Whats wrong with my Hydrangea?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by erin_juniper, May 28, 2007.

1. erin_juniper

erin_juniper Active Member

Just wondering why my Hydrangea has developed some brown spots on the leaves? Is this bugs? Maybe from my dog peeing on/ near it?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since distribution of damage is about the same as it might be for dog urine spray pattern, well...

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Without even looking at the pic I was about to answer heat scald from a recent sudden hot day or two...my hydrangeas always seem to wilt badly and even permanently singe edges of leaves on the hot low humidity days, wherever they are exposed to lots of sun.

However, that damage pattern is not what I'd expect from heat/sun scald...you guys may be onto something all right...

4. erin_juniper

erin_juniper Active Member

since the first reply I have taken a look and the brown spots seem to be on the oldest and highest leaves and I think are too high up for it to be from dog pee.

It's in a spot that gets sun but not alot so I doubt it's burnt spot.

I've noticed ants crawling on the leaves too.

Maybe I need to fertilize it?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No, if anything such damage would be too much fertilizer. It might happen to need fertilizer as well, but lack of fertilizer would not customarily result in scorching - unless, perhaps, there was some weird trace mineral deficiency that sometimes produced this effect.

Down here a good idea would be to clip an affected stem and take it to a Cooperative Extension office or Master Gardener clinic. Maybe the Province offers some kind of similar service.

6. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I was about to say you must have a very tall dog....I would remove the leaves and maybe spray it with messenger.

7. tribes

tribes Member

It looks to me as if it may have scorched/scalded in the 90 degree + days we experienced a few weeks ago in the northeast. It would only take one day of 90 degree plus weather and a drier than usual rootball for this to occur. I would prune the dead out and continue on a regular watering schedule. Endless Summer is a pretty tough plant. We have to keep them under a 30 percent shade cloth at our nursery or they wilt down in the hot afternoon sun.