Frost and Queen Palms- help!!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by breakaway90210, Mar 7, 2007.

1. breakaway90210

breakaway90210 Member

I live in Visalia, CA (very very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter). We had a very hard winter this year and the frost got to alot of crops and plants around the city. I have 7 Queen Palms, and 4 Pygme palms (sp?). They are all well-established, and were planted when the house was completed 1 year ago by proffeesionals, so I know they are planted correctly. 2 of my Queen Palms have dead, brown fronds on them- even the emerging fronds are green in the middle, but the ends are dead. Is this because of the frost??? Only two of my trees that are out in the open (not next to the house, or walls of the garden) were severly effective- and unfortunatley the most expensive :( . Also- all of my pygme palms have turned completely brown (except for a very small portion on the stalk of the plant). At the request of my wife, I trimmed them back to the green portion in hopes of inducing growth. What should I do about the Queen Palms (They do not look dead, just some fronds)?? Also, what should I do about my Pygme Palms? I know photos will help, but right now I cannot get my camera to work, but soon I will post some!

PLEASE- ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED! Dont let my expensive trees die!!
    Jacob.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If the new emerging fronds are green, they should recover OK.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi alsoo too much fertilize or an insecticide diluted blady cause similar effects