Identification: Spiral Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by charlessutherland, Jun 28, 2006.

1. charlessutherland

charlessutherland Member

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

not sure what it is but it may be an indicator of a big rotten root on that tree.... MY mushroom and conk books are somewhat regional, not much help for you in TN.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting. I suspect this is more of an aberrant growth form than a distinct species. I'm impressed by the size of it - a search for spiral fungus, spiral mushroom and so on yields a few hits, but nothing so large.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the mushroom experts on here have to say.

4. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not an expert, but I wonder if it is a polypore that has grown into this shape due to a dynamic substrate.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I've seen fungi just like this one before, in an area of upstate NY. Same habitat, just as big, these look identical to the ones I saw. I never found out what it was, and was hoping someone would ID this one by now. I'll email it to an expert or two and see what they say.

6. chickenofthewoods

chickenofthewoods Member

MAn, it's a whopper, eh?

No ID yet?

I want to know.

Meripileus Giganteus is white to creamy and can get that big. It used to be Grifola...

I can't imagine what it is.....