exposed roots in potted maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by neko musume, Sep 2, 2005.

1. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

Hello,

I have a few one gallon A. Palmatums that have been repotted, this past spring, into slightly larger containers. The roots near the trunks on all of them, are now highly visible.

After waterings, the drenched roots are left to dry, and as the trees receive full afternoon sun until about 4 pm, I'm wondering if this exposure to such hot temperatures in the afternoons, and cool temperatures overnight, is unwise. Also does it leave my roots susceptible to fungal attacks.

I've seen exposed roots on bonsai, and on some of the japanese maples that nurseries sell. I'm certain that on the former, it is intentional, while on the latter, it is the result of neglect, even though the trees look as though they are flourishing.

I've read and heard of the importance of not planting a tree into the ground, above it's trunk flare, because of something called tree girdling, and I'm wondering if I've gone too far the other way.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. ^_^

Sincerely,

n. musume

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

That is more root than I would leave or commonly leave exposed. You should really repot at the same depth as previously potted and add additional soil mix after settling to achieve this. Maple like to be planted and potted a little high, and this for me means leaving the upper most root (it as a name, but I can think of it, maybe flare is the correct term) exposed or partially exposed. This is usually a wood root and you are not exposing sensitive root flesh to the open. I would add some more mix on all but the first plant unless the pictures give the wrong impression.

Good luch and happy to have you as a member of the forum.

MJH

3. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

Hello MJH,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I see that my problem has been in not allowing for the settling of the soil, like you pointed out, after the initial planting.

It seems I can spend a limitless amount of time staring at, and studying the leaves, branches and twigs of a certain tree, and completely ignoring what is going on beneath them all.

I also want to add that i enjoy reading the discussions that all of you regulars get into, on this forum. Very informative and helpful. Especially in regard to diseases, and the variables that can affect the appearance and health of any one cultivar.

I feel as though the more I learn, the more complicated it becomes, in figuring out exactly what I've purchased, as compared to what I thought I purchased, according to it's tag.

Thank you again. ^_^

n. musume