gunera plant

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by greenwitch, Mar 9, 2007.

1. greenwitch

greenwitch Member

I bought a gunera plant at the last Mother's Day plant sale at UBC. I was told they like lots of moisture and they'll grow huge - the one I bought was a baby. I was also told they're a zone 9 plant, and I live in a spot on a lake where we get mini-zones - different climates in different spots on the property. The local zone here is about 5, but here on the lake it's about 6-7. I figured I could over-winter this plant in our workshop. The room isn't heated but it's insulated. We had a very warm winter anyway, and I left it in there by the window for light. It lost all its leaves, but I figured it would naturally do that in winter. Now I've moved it outside so it could get spring weather conditions. It looks dead to me, but I'm unfamiliar with this plant. Maybe it leafs out later in the season...? Can anyone give me more information about this plant? I didn't water it all winter since it wasn't growing. Maybe I should have? Have I killed it? Help!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They are zone 8 without problems, maybe a bit colder. Cover the crown with a thick layer of mulch in the winter to help insulate it.

They are deciduous, so there won't be any leaves at this time of year, but if it's still alive, the new leaves should start appearing in the next month.

PS spellcheck for better info searching: Gunnera.

3. greenwitch

greenwitch Member

Thanks Michael - both for the advice and the spelling correction. Anything I should do for it now? Water it maybe, or just leave it alone for now? Do they like any sort of fertilizer once they're growing again?