Asian Iris pods/ peony pods

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Mickie, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mickie

Mickie Member

Must I open the green pod for the seeds or do I plant the pod whole? What month do I plant the Iris pods/seeds?.......and.......how about the peonies? They seem to grow some pods also. Are they used for propagation or not?

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Mickie,

If you are interested in propagating iris, the best method is by division. I think that you are inquiring about a rhizomatous iris, as opposed to a bulbous iris. Here is a link that describes the difference between the two as well as methods of propagation. Also, the seeds and sap of the plant can cause skin irritation, so be sure to wear gloves when dividing. Here is a link that discusses the toxicity of the plant.

The best method to propagate peony is by crown division. Here is another link that describes the method (listed under division).

I realize that this does not answer your question directly. If you are still interested in propagating by seed I can provide some direction, however, these are the recommended methods.

Good luck.

Raakel

3. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

The seed are inside the pods and you should let the pods dry off on the plant. They will split when properly dried and if you keep an eye on them you can get them then.

4. Mickie

Mickie Member

Raakel,

Thank you for the information.

Yes, it is true that I was inquiring about the seeds...... if the pods were in fact seeds and if they were to be sown, how and when. As you say, splitting is the best method, therefore, I won't bother with the pods. Again , thanks.