(Monstera deliciosa) Split-leaf philodendron

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bluewing, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I have always liked this plant and been thinking of getting one, that is, if I ever see one around here.

Is there anyway to keep this plant like a reg floor plant and not have it climb up on anything like a pole and it will still look good? Or it that something this plant NEEDs to do?

Thanks for any help.

2. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

There is a huge split leaf philly in the library where i go to college. It has no totem to climb up and just hangs out of the plant. It is huge and looks very healthy. You can hardly see the base because the leaves nearly occlude all sight of it.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I had one in an office foyer for several years and it used its long areal roots to support it's self in the corner. This same plant has been down my garden in the fern area proped up against the wood shed for the last 10 years and is looking terrific. The plant is probably about 20 years old now and was a rescue from a rental home.

Liz

4. Bluewing

Thank you Rip & Liz!

I was hoping you guys would say it would be ok without support! I can just imagine the huge ones you have seen, or have, they must be absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks again!

5. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

My experience is that they are great without support. They can and do sprawl a bit but look great. My current copy is climbing a corner in the GH--The aerial roots will stick to most any wall covering and that is precisely why it is in that corner. :o)

Bill

6. Bluewing

Thank you Bill!

If I get one (only a matter of time) I won't be having it in corner because I have too many other plants already around the entire end of the living room a couple rows out and the only corner is occupied by a vary large palm, so I hope the philo does ok like you said without any wall or corner to lean on.

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

This Mexican giant monstera is fairly easy to control. Just take a good knife to it when it gets too big! You can put the top cutting back in soil and begin another one easily. Many growers just take 6 inch chunks of the cane and lay them in soil with just a bit of covering to begin new plants. They would prefer to climb but you can keep it under control. In South Florida they are commonly seen climbing high into the trees. However, be prepared, they can produce enormous leaves. The growth rate can be controlled a bit by limiting the amount of water.

By the way, this is a philodendron relative, it is not a philodendron. Monstera are a totally different group of plants. If you can't find one locally they are available on eBay just about any week.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera deliciosa large pc.html

8. Bluewing

I appreciate the information!

You are right about the watering. I had seen this particular plant years ago in a antique store in a bright window with very small leaves (it wasn't a baby either) It was in very dry soil along with other water deprived plants.
    They all had more dry soil than plant and the monstera didn't have much growth. I think I would be a little more generous with the water..
    I will definitely ck ebay and see what they have!

The site you posted was great! I read it and found it very interesting and saved it for future reading.

Thanks for helping!

9. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the water! We love to pour on the water for our "rain forest" plants so they will have a better chance of reaching their maxiumum potential. But, for those who want to keep the Monstera deliciosa small, just give it a bit less.

Glad you found the website useful. We created it to try to pass along accurate information and have received a great deal of help from quite a number of qualified botanists and top notch plant experts.