Very old, heritage shrub, scented double white pop-pom flowers, what is it?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by artnerd, Jan 16, 2006.

1. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

I have seen (and smelled) this shrub only a few times locally, always in a garden that is very old, typically the houses date from the turn of the century. (late 1800's - early 1900's). Even when apparently totally neglected, it's reached a height of about 12' or more, has a rounded, very bushy growth habit, very dark green, glossy leaves, (they look like mock-orange leaves) and the most AMAZING display of prolific white double flowers, each roughly 2" in diameter that cover most of the plant. It is richly scented, but not cloying or overpowering. Kind of like faint peony-type scent. It seems to be very pest & disease resistant. I don't know if it's evergreen or deciduous.

I haven't been able to find it in any books yet. I am familiar with mock-orange, but only know of the single, 4-petalled varieties. Could this be an older species mock-orange perhaps? It is hands-down, one amazing-looking/smelling plant!

Or perhaps (long stretch here) a viburnum of some kind?

Definitely a shrub, not a tree. Not any kind of fruit tree, magnolia, camelia, pom-pom tree, or usual suspect. I seem to remember it flowering in mid-Spring?
    The 3 I've found so far are in the Mt. Pleasant area of Van. in the yards of heritage houses with very mature gardens, if that helps.

I hope to get some pictures soon, to confirm.

Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks,
    K.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Start with Philadelphus (Virginalis Group) 'Virginal'. "A strong-growing, erect-branched shrub to 3m, with flowers 2.5-3.5cm across, richly fragrant. Still probably the best double-flowered cultivar." (HILLIER MANUAL OF TREES & SHRUBS).

The Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle has a substantial collection of mockoranges if you want to come down and look at them in June.

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I thought you might be interested in what M. Dirr has to say about Philadelphus in his "Manual Of Woody Landscape Plants":
    "All Philadelphus types require about the same care--none. They are vigorous, easy to grow plants but are strictly of single season quality. In flower they are attractive but the rest of the year (about 50 weeks) are real eyesores. My garden space and labor are too valuable to waste on shrubs which only return a small interest. Consider these factors before extensively planting shrubs of this type."
    If you are considering this as a plant to grow, I would search out Philadelphus x lemoinei 'Manteau d'Hermine. This a smaller shrub (about 3-4 ft. high) with the same fragrant, double flowers. I've grown this and 'Minnesota Snowflake' and much prefer the former.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dr. Dirr's assessment ignores the uniqueness of the mockorange floral effect as well as the additional value provided by those with colored foliage, such as Philadelphus coronarius 'Aureus'. They are also easy to grow. Since floral effect is the main point of mockoranges and 'Virginal' has superior flower quality, it is still a superior choice despite its large, stiff habit.

You won't get big double flowers that smell like lilies from a fothergilla, nor will it be drought tolerant.

5. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

It seems to me, that floral effect is only point of Mock Orange. For the rest of the year you're stuck with a singularly unattractive large shrub. Hence my recommendation for a very nice dwarf version. The large forms of this plant do have their place. For me, that place is in someone else's garden. I hope to see these plants in bloom at the Arboretum, as you suggested.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006