Impatient glandulifera?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Pia Steiner, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Pia Steiner

Pia Steiner Member

Am looking for some help.

Would you be able to identify this plant for me? I think it is a Impatiens but I'm not sure about the species.
    I recived this photos in one mail comming from Tokyo, and my brother wrote that are species from Thailand.
    Someone can help me, please!

With thanks,
    Pia Steiner.

Photograph in this discussion thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2006
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, that is Impatiens glandulifera or a closely related species of Impatiens. It comes from the Himalaya originally, but is an invasive weed in many areas now.

3. Pia Steiner

Pia Steiner Member

Hi, wonderfull people!

My best thank's; I am realy happy...I was not so wrong ah! ah!
    I am physiician searcher, I work in the Oswaldo Cruz Institute, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Botany is my hobby, to keep out the stress! :-)
    Again my bests thank's of the rapidity of the answer, really your are wonderfull!
    My regards, with kind
    Pia Steiner.

4. Island Dar

Island Dar Member

I seem to have the same pics sent to me but I found some sites that seemed to indicate this particular plant is a impatiens, but one called psitticana. So I am hoping that it is not the invasive variety glandulifera. Have you ever heard of the psitticana impatiens? Unfortunately the only sites I have found are in the Thai language. Any feedback would be appreciated. . . .Dar

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Are you sure of the spelling of psitticana? It does not appear to be in the RHS database. Google returns a few entries but for a different genus.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In Nainamo you would have the Himalayan balsam, because that is one that has gone wild around here. There are many other species, it takes more involved study than looking at pictures to get the exact one when trying to identify a specimen that could be any of a number of species.

7. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

The spelling is psittacina.

8. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

According to my research the correct spelling is Impatiens psitticana instead of psitticina. I have corresponded a great deal with a section of the Thailand government regarding this plant known as the Thailand Parrot Flower Plant and it is illegal to possess or export this wild flower including seeds. I'm told the punishment is severe. So it appears we won't be owning this one anytime soon. Steve Lucas

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  9. Ron B

10. photopro

This one is very confusing and very deceptive. I've researched this "plant" for quite a long time. According to sources within the government of Thailand this plant grows in the northern portion of their country and is rare. It is also supposedly illegal to collect or sell. The name given to me by those sources was Impatiens psitticana or Impatiens psitticina They can't be sure of the name. That may be due to the fact neither of those names are recognized scientific names known by any botanical source. You can verify that by looking up the International Plant Names Index or TROPICOS. That could be because the plant's published name simply has not been added to the databases. BUT, there is another possibility. I am a retired photographer who collects very rare plants. I use photo altering computer programs all the time and have for many years in my work. I personally don't believe, yet, the photos are fake. But the more I look at photos of Impatiens glandifliera, an invasive vine, the more it appears they could have been created using photos of that plant as a base. All I know for sure is no one in an official botanical capicity can tell me anything about this plant. And I research plants every day and trade emails all the time with some well known botanical experts. Steve Lucas, The Exotic Rainforest

11. photopro

Well, I hate to pop my own bubble, but now I'm convinced the "Rare Parrot Plant" is in deed a fake. A skillfully done fake, but a fake none-the-less. I've argued for some time this thing is read and have wasted a ton of time trying to track it down. Today I found a descent photo of Impatiens glandulifera on the net. Then I cut the "head" off one of the photos floating around the net of the "parrot plant". I then pasted the "head" onto the photo I found of Impatiens glandulifera. That plant originated in the Himilayas but is grown commonly in this country. You can take a look for yourself. I created this photo in 5 minutes and you can see where I didn't do a good job on purpose. But sorry folks. This one is a grand fake! I tried to post the photo but will have to create a new thread to do it. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas

Attached Files:

12. Ron B

The International Plant Names Index record for Impatiens psittacina is at the second link provided in my last post.

13. photopro

Just checked the IPNI and it comes up "no record" for any spelling of this plant name.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

15. photopro

Thanks! I finally found that on my own. Three points. This plant (the true species) is from India, not Thailand as is claimed by the "rare Parrot Flower Plant". Two, a botanical photo of the real plant cannot be found anywhere that I can locate so that still puts the "rare Parrot Flower of Thailand" in doubt. And three, I can't find a single botanist who has ever seen the "rare Parrot Flower Plant". I spent all morning trying to find just one. Another oddity, when you look at the fake photo I created you'll see the stem joins the "flower" in a very unusual manner. The same thing occurs in the photos of the "rare Parrot Flower of Thailand". And there is strong suspicion that the stem of the flower used to create the "parrot head" has been digitally removed. I've been unable to find a single Impatiens expert who knows of this thing and you know something that unusual would be craved by collectors in that field. I think this "plant" is more and more in doubt and will remain so in my mind until I find a real botanist who can change my mind. I did locate a reference to the plant in some Asian language and am now working to try to get it translated so I can know what it really says.

Thanks Daniel,

Steve Lucas

16. photopro

Hate to admit it when I'm wrong, but in this case I think I'm WRONG! This plant is probably not a PhotoShop creation. I've now seen and possess the original antique botanical drawings for Impatiens psittacina. Note the spelling. The drawings look very much like the photos floating around the internet. I've also been given information by a very reliable source that the plant actually is from northern Thailand despite the fact botanical sources say it is from India. And to top it off my source, who is an aroid expert, knows the actual source (person) of all the photos that are on the internet. The "Rare Thailand Parrot Flower" apparently actually exists despite what I've been told by all the impatiens experts. And it is not Impatiens Impatiens glandulifera! The original drawings do seem to confirm that fact. Stay tuned. I'm still searching and so is my aroid expert friend. I just want to confirm everything before I post anymore.

Steve Lucas
    www.ExoticRainforest.com

17. photopro

Finally, two "plant nuts" have managed to track down the story of the Rare Thailand Parrot Flower, Impatiens psittacina. It really does exist! I have included the entire story of how the plant was located including scientific proof it exists on The Exotic Rainforest website, www.ExoticRainforest.com You can read about the search, see the scientific documents and photos. It really does exist! Just go to the bottom of the Exotic Rainforest homepage and click on the link. Steve Lucas (Photopro)

18. photopro

19. photopro

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007