Venus Fly Trap Care help!!

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by VenusFlyTrap, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VenusFlyTrap

VenusFlyTrap Member

Hi, i've just bought a venus fly trap and i have been looking at websites for info but i can't seem to get it right. Does it sit in direct sunlight or not and does it have to have dormancy. I'm confused so maybe i could get a few pointers for it. Thanks.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Did you look at this site?
    http://www.botany.org/bsa/misc/carn.html
    It has basic instructions.

There are quite a few threads about them on the Forums. You can use the Search function (on the green bar at the top of the page) to find info.

The plant wants full sunlight, but they are often grown in terrariums, which can become very hot in the sun. It will need some direct sunlight to do well.

I don't know about dormancy, but I think they grow more actively in summer.

3. VenusFlyTrap

VenusFlyTrap Member

Well thanks for that bit of help but i was just wondering about water because you can't feed it tap water, is it good for it to have bottle water??

4. VenusFlyTrap

VenusFlyTrap Member

Do you think i should grow it under a light bulb or just sunlight. I currently have it sitting by the door of my patio deck facing south. So i'm not sure what to do since i have only had it for 2 days and i trying to get to live for a few year or more. So what would be my best choice.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

VFT...I'd give it at least 4 hours sunlight in summer. I just answered a similar question in this forum...you might want to have a peek

Ed