?water sprouts? plum tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by urbangardner, Apr 4, 2007.

1. urbangardner

urbangardner Member

sorry if this isn't quite the right forum as it's a non-fruiting, purple leaf plum tree.
    The tree is at least 15 feet tall, it was planted about three years ago.

We have been waiting to prune as I heard that the right time is after it flowers, but some lower branches had been cut in the fall when we relocated a fence that was too close to the tree.

The tree is just starting to leaf out for spring and I noticed yesterday the the trunk is practically covered in little leaves, like it's starting new branches all the way down to nearly a foot above the soil. They aren't coming out of the base like suckers, but I'm wondering if they should all be pinched off or what, if they all grew it would become a bush! I read somewhere that the lower branches primarily feed root growth? I'm concerned that the branches we cut in the fall were doing just that and now this is the reaction. Also the tree was never staked and I suspect that the roots are circling a bit.. .It has not received much care in the past, I hope someone can help.

any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you want to maintain a clear trunk prune the sprouts off. Circling roots result of container culture, roots made since planting out will not be circling. Only way to correct circling dating back to period in pot is to dig it up and pull them open or cut them during winter dormant season.