Very old apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Martydawg, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Martydawg

Martydawg Member

My husband and I moved into our daughter's home the day after her memorial service to raise her two daughters. She had recently purchased this property on a street named "Orchard Drive" So returning to "yard work" and gardening is a slow process after a condo. There are remaining on this small 2 acre property about seven apple trees. Very old, and much neglected ...yet, several are still fruiting!

Homes have been here close to 50 years. So figure that's how long since these trees have not been given attention. They are very tall - no dwarf trees here! I want to preserve and care for these remaining trees. No idea what kind of apple grows on them.

This property is on the old Foss Farm in Durham, NH. I have cleared the brush from the bottom. Now notice that there are several holes in some of these trees but it hasn't stopped them from producing.

I'm attempting to tap into University of NH, located here, for at least some history of kind of apple tree etc. Very tedious work.

I venture the trees are closer to the century mark than not. Any clues?? Next step for me? It would be awesome to have them preserved and productive.

Thank you.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Based on other threads re: identifying apple cultivars, it is important to have a fruit in hand. There should be some local apple festivals or apple societies where folks are available to ID your apple tree come the autumn.

As for the holes in the tree, perhaps post a photograph?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6 fruits. You need 6 fruits to get a good representation of their characters.