Cedar tree roots survival without a cedar plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Ottawa-Zone5, May 3, 2008.

1. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I had a cedar tree close to my vegetable patch. I cut it down two years ago because it was shading the patch to some extent but mainly because I did not like its small thread size bunches of roots in the vegetable area stealing nutrients and moisture. However, even after two years I stll find some fresh cedar roots even though there is no growth above the ground. My question is if the cedar roots can survive and thrive under the surface without a purpose like suppling nutrients to a live plant above ground? Will these disappear after a while?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just pull them out and compost them or leave them. Without the tree they will not grow. However your soil may be a bit hungry where they are.

Liz

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. smivies

smivies Active Member

The new roots would have to be from another tree....

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Smivies good thought I just assumed the one but there is probably another one having a free lunch. :)
    Liz

5. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Thank for your responses. However, there is no cedar tree nearby. It is possible that the bio-degradation rate may be slower for cedar roots, and in the interim the stored nutrients push a a tiny white fresh tips on the root bunches. I hope that the nutrient intake process is disrupted and eventually these roots will bio-degrade.