Non-grass lawn in shady back yard?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by dL248, Aug 10, 2007.

1. dL248

dL248 Member

Hello,
    I have a very shady backyard at my home (tree-lined) that I have been in for almost a year now, and I'm looking to put in or grow some sort of green cover for the yard now. The yard is currently uncovered soil, which is rich as it contains much composted soil and many years of decomposed yard trimmings.

The issue, however, is that it is VERY shady. It really doesn't get any direct sunlight at all. I would like to have just about any sort of green ground cover. It doesn't have to be grass, doesn't have to be the most durable cover, and it would be nice to not have a soggy mess in the winter.

The idea of growing moss sounds very appealing, but I don't know where to purchase it or what type to grow, and it seems like it may take some time for it to become established, and I'd like to get something on the ground soon.

Any advise or help that you can provide would be VERY appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -Steve

PS - This house is in central Vancouver.

2. Alan Dudley

Alan Dudley Member

Steve, there is a variety of grass seed,developed in Oregon, that is shade tolerant and thrives in shady, damp moist conditions. If you haven't yet done anything with this area, now is an ideal time if you wish to seed the area. Please e-mail me and I'll tell you more. Alan adudley@shaw.ca