Adenium obesum problems...

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Chester, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi there. I have an Adenium obesum that was given to me by a friend. It looks pretty sad ie no leaves at all on the small green stumps. Is this typical for them, and do they respond to better care by growing more leaves? I have read that they have a dormant period, and so am hoping that it will perk up a bit after it comes out of it. She has most likely overwatered it through that period is my guess. Anyway, I would like as many pointers about the plants as anyone can give.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

i just had a quick read in my RHS book, it says it flowers before the leaves, so i assume at some point in the year it drops all the leaves.
    Grow in full light with shade from hot sun. It looks like it doesnt need much water at all, the book also mentions growing outside in alkaline soil (not that you'll be growing it outside)
    hope some of that helps a little.

3. Chester

Thanks for your help with this. They aren't grown in my neck of the woods too much, and my plant book is pretty general :)

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Haven't read your post until now (spring having sprung and all that)....I have grown and lost a couple of adenium obesum, both to overwatering. A VERY finicky houseplant, give no water when dormant: this is usually the root of most problems with the plant, in my experience. Give the caudex a feel: is it fairly firm, or squishy? This is another plant that will look OK for some time after it has begun to rot on the inside. Give the skin a small scratch, is it green underneath? That'd be a good thing, and give hope that it is simply dormant and will leaf out. It's a truly unique and beautiful plant, but a fussy one that is easily lost as a houseplant.

5. Chester

Thanks for the info. It seems ok to all of your questions. It is starting to leaf out, and I am cautiously watering it, now that it has some leaves forming. What stumps me is the legginess of it. A caudex, and then 4 sticks of branches with a few leaves on the ends. I know that they have a unique way of growing, but this baby looks downright bald. I was hoping someone would know how to encourage branching and filling out with leaves. I'm hoping that the poor start has not caused this legginess to be permanent. A website I read says that you should treat them like succulents through the winter (almost no water), and then like a tropical through the summer when they are actively growing (more water and some fert). It was quite an amazing site, I wish I could remember where it was, as it showed them growing in Florida, and they were very large with hugh caudexes. They are really starting to work on the colors and producing ones with very long bloom periods. I'm rambling again, but I tend to do that when I get a new plant. Well, thanks again for the info. Good luck with yours :)

6. nicholette

nicholette Member

I am going through some probs also, I had to transplant my desert roses because there was not enough drainage, the leaves however are yellowing and the roses are still flowering too small, I've been giving them fertilizers but i see not change, should I do anything or simply continues to monitor their growth.

7. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm

This link should answer most questions.

My adeniums are just coming out of their winter dormancy. Some new leaves are just starting to show, as are a few flowers. Give them another month or two to really show their best.

Yellowing and dropping of the older leaves is normal at this time of year. As long as the plant is flowering, new foliage is coming in, and the caudex and branches are still firm...the plant is likely doing well.

The size of the flowers may or may not be due to the specific hybrid. There are so many these days, it is becoming difficult to find an adenium that is true to the original species form.

Dropping of leaves during dormancy is normal for small and young plants. I have 3 young adeniums (of various species) that lost their leaves this winter. I have 1 older, larger plant that did not. It may have to be due to how much energy reserves the plant has. As mentioned earlier, the little ones are just now (April 18th) starting to get their new foliage in.

Hope this helps.

8. kateanderson

kateanderson Member

I have two new baby adenium obesums (meaning...not very interesting caudex at this point). but i had one several years ago which i sadly killed by overwatering, i think. It had such an interesting trunk! It looked like a human torso; and then the trunk became spongier and spongier until it died. I feel terrible about losing it and hope to not repeat the problem. What does it mean when the trunk becomes spongy and how can I avoid it? Also, does anyone know how long before these two little obesums begin to develop an interesting caudex (I assume that is the same as the trunk)?

9. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

A narrow strip between the sidewalk and highway across from our office has one of these plants. No irrigation, plenty of heat, and presumably decent drainage. They're quite tough in the right environment.

10. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Trunks most often get "spongy" if there is rot or if there is dehydration. How to avoid it...that is a bit more complicated. First off, one must consider the fact that most success is found by treating adeniums like tropicals during the summer growing season, but like cacti during the winter dormancy. Paying close attention to their transition in the fall and spring will be important. Rot most often occurs when adeniums are overwatered during their dormant period and dehydration most often occurs during their summer growing period. The same wet, organic material that they thrive on during the summer, will quickly cause rot during dormancy.

Read the web link I posted above in a previous post. It should answer most questions.

Mark