Please help me save my ponytail palm!

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by miafla, May 22, 2008.

1. miafla

miafla Member

I have a 25 year old ponytail palm that someone vandalized and chopped the top off of. Is there anyway I can save it??

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

You should get new growth, around 6, come out from the remaining trunk. Who ever done it has given it a trim. So you should have new growth soon...

Ed

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

although it shouldn't, it still amazes me how thoughtless people can be!!

well, in this case the 'joke' is on them! ed's correct that the plant will sprout new growth. and, it'll end up looking much better than it did previously!

so, that idiot vandal actually did you a bit of a favor!

4. miafla

miafla Member

This is good news...thanks for your input. How long do you think this might take? Should I do anything special to help it on it's way? Apply some sort of solution as a band-aid, water extra, ...???

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, no, there's nothing you need to do - other than continuing with the watering schedule, that is! (nothing extra, just keep to whatever schedule you already have in place).

i'm not sure how long it will be before the new shoots start growing - since you're in florida and it's much warmer there (and sunnier, too) it should happen within the next month or so. especially if it's in the ground rather than a container.