When to thin and Transplant tomato seedlings

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Mr Greenthumb, May 24, 2009.

1. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

Okay so i bought one of those little seedling green house trays from the local garden center, in this i started some catnip seeds, some jalapeno seeds, Pueblo Chillies and Roma Tomatoes. The tomatoes took off very quickly and there are several good seedlings going in each stump. They have already gotten so tall that they are pressing against the top of the dome. however the catnip and pepers are not getting this large as quick. is it okay to open the dome and thin the tomatoes then close it back up? also at what point do i want to put the tomato plants into larger pots?

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

You should have no problem opening the top up. How big are the tomato plants? I say to transplant them to the outdoors if your night temps are in the 50's, otherwise, go to a small container for each with correct soil, then allow to mature outdoors during the days (nights too if in the 50's). After a few weeks of correct watering, sun and element adjustments, they should be ok on their own. As for the pepper plants, catnip, etc, if they get a few true leaf sets going, get them outdoors too. Again, you are starting late. Trial and error.

3. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

these plants wont be going outside this year, I have built a small greenhouse/ light room on to the back of my house, as i will be trying to keep the peppers year round. I got a late start this year for sure! lol so i plan to keep them in the controlled environment for this season so i can take them through a full vegetative state. the tomatoes plants are about an inch maybe two, in length and only have their first two leaves from germination on them, they sprouted about four days ago but i swear they are growing like weeds. I should let you know that I am currently using a 1000w HPS light in the room that these are germinating in they are not in the direct light however because i was told that would not be good for them.

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

Once the plants have sprouted, you no longer need to keep them covered. When they have grown a couple of sets of true leaves you can transplanted them into bigger pots. You can plant tomatoes deep as they will grow more roots up their stems.

5. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Tomato plants have fast root systems. Once you transplant them you will see. Even small ones.

6. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

I thinned the Tomatoes out today, I was really surprised at how strong the root system already was on the seedlings, they gave quite a bit of resistance to being thinned, I then changed out the dome on my planter to one that was much higher and they will remain their until they are ready to transplant. I will post some pictures as soon as I can get a camera. I am very happy with my garden so far, even early they are all doing very very well! I would also like to ask who i should IM because my brother works for the USDA so I have access to many different types of vegetation and hardiness maps!

7. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

I am confused on the IM comment. Can you clarify?

8. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

i was wondering who to Instant Message with info on the maps, however the maps u guys have are pretty much recent so its probably not going to matter.