Process for adding items to the Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by Daniel Mosquin, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Please note we don't allow direct linking. Causes too many headaches over the long term.

For the photo gallery, it is best if it is one thread per species.

So:

1) Post New Thread
    2) Fill in form - subject line: name of plant; message: description of photograph; manage attachments: add the images for that particular plant
    3) Submit

Repeat for each new species or cultivar.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: additions to photo gallary

That's a good idea!

Might it be better to have cultivars of the same species posted as successive posts on a single thread? Perhaps one thread for species Xxxx xxxx, and a second thread for all cultivars of Xxxx xxxx?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, I don't think so - I like the way it works in the Maple Photo Gallery - because then people can continue discussion on that particular species or cultivar. On the other hand, if it's not working, it is a relatively simple task to merge later.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

My worry is that having hundreds of threads about [boring!] cultivars like Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ad Nauseam' and Cupressus × leylandii 'Neighbour's Curse' would make it difficult to find threads about [interesting!] species, scrolling down through page after page of cultivar threads . . . after all, this is primarily a botanical website, rather than a horticultural one. In the maples gallery it isn't so bad as the vast majority of the cultivars are of just one species and they are split out into a different gallery, but with conifers they are less concentrated in one species. Would a Conifer Species Gallery, and a Conifer Cultivars Gallery, be feasible?

5. Daniel Mosquin

I'd like to see how things progress, first. I think that's likely the way to go once the numbers push past 60 or so.

6. Daniel Mosquin

It'd be helpful to me (and to search engines so others can find the site) if threads were titled with the full name of the species and cultivar. I know, I know - some of those shortcuts are very handy, but I'll end up eventually changing them over to full names anyway.