Alocasia zebrina? Alocasia reticulata??

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Feb 28, 2008.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The specimen in the photo attached was given to me by collector Teri Baber with the tag "Alocasia reticulata" attached. However, even though I've found this plant on the web with that name, I cannot find a species with the name "Alocasia reticulata" on any of the botanical name sources. Several sources do sell it as "Alocasia reticulata" and one good source lists it as Alocasia zebrina reticulata. When I create a page on my website I do all I can do to track down the origin of the species and gather all the pertinent facts including where it grows in nature, or if a hybrid, what parents were involved. Right now, I can find very little information.

I am very curious if one of you Alocasia experts out there can tell me if this is a species or possibly a hybrid? If it is a species, what is the correct name. I suspect it is truly Alocasia zebrina but the pattern on the petiole on the one source I found that I absolutely trust was somewhat different from this plant. However, that could be natural variation. I'd also like to know, assuming the name "Alocasia reticulata" is a hybrid, can someone direct me to the source? I suspect a tissue culture company in Florida created the name "reticulata" but at this time I can't be certain.

I'm also trying to learn just how large this plant can grow under ideal conditions.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. photopro

I received some great responses privately on my request for information on Alocasia 'Reticulata' which appears to be simply a variation of Alocasia zebrina! The majority of the input came from members of the Aroid l forum who are willing to offer good observations and scientific data I can't locate on my own. If you are interested in aroids and don't subscribe to Aroid l, I strongly recommend that discussion group which is a part of the International Aroid Society. http://www.aroid.org/aroid_l/index.html

I included a quote from Pete Boyce which he sent last summer on a different but related subject which helps to clarify a bit of this "plant mystery".

Also, my sincere thanks to LariAnn Garner and Julius Boos for their input and a public thank you to Deni Bown since I borrowed a passage (with credit) for this page from her book Aroids, Plants of the Arum Family. If you are an aroid collector, and don't own a copy, buy one now!!

Here's what I've got so far:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Alocasia zebrina pc.html

If any of you find errors, please let me know so I can work out the kinks. The page is not posted to the search engines just yet but you can find it via this direct link.

3. photopro

I received three very useful email explanations regarding this plant today from one of the world's top Alocasia experts, botanist Sir Alistair Hay. As a result, I've changed the use of the name 'Reticulata' to Alocasia cv. reticulata. To be used as 'Reticulata' the name would have needed to be registered as a registered cultivar (cv. stands for cultivar) and it appears no such registration exists. Alistair does appear to believe this is a cultivar of Alocasia zebrina and as such the proper name should be Alocasia zebrina cv. reticulata. If you're interested in the plant or in reading Alistair's comments you can find them in the revised page here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Alocasia zebrina pc.html

4. photopro

This one must not be very interesting to most of you, but I did find out this morning I made an error on some of the information I had posted. Principally when I referred to Alistair Hay as Sir Hay. He informed me earlier today it is actually Lord Hay and he was never Knighted by the Queen. That story has circulated among aroid enthusiasts for a long time but Alistair says it is incorrect. he was actually born with the title of Lord Hay. I have posted his website address since he works with Brugmansia species. You can find his website at the bottom of my page on Alocasia zebrina.

http://www.meroomeadowperennials.com.au/

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gosh, I didn't know that when I met him (briefly) 6-7 years ago.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I am interested, mate, I just haven't been here. That plant looks great!!
    Does Alistair have one?

Ed

7. photopro

Daniel, we learn something new every day. I've been told over and over to refer to him as Sir Hay. Now I know to do it as Lord Hay. But he apparently isn't crazy about either, at least that is what he said this morning! He is most helpful as well as knowledgeable so I'd love to be able to spend some time with him.